Thursday, January 24, 2013

DIY --> from holiday gift tags to necklaces

I'm all about the DIY's & have been for quite some time. I love finding little odds & ends and transforming them into something beautiful. I'm also a sucker for making use of things that one wouldn't immediately think to be used for. (does that sentence even make sense?) ANYWAY, i was strolling through Anthropologie's sale section and found these little ceramic gift tags with initials on them. I immediately thought -- perfect. necklace. -- So i bought one for myself, my younger sister Alyssa, and my best friend Maria. In the bin next to the gift tags I found the turquoise & magenta coloured twine -- i can never resist turquoise anything. I decided that this would be a fun, quick, & cheap little project! With all five items the toal came to only 5 $ !! Originally everything would of cost 21 $ so I was super pumped. I headed over to the craft store to buy clasps for the necklaces, which cost 2$ with my 50% off coupon. (duh) The extra silver beads I had laying around the house from a previous jewelry project from over the summer, so I swiped those to add a bit more funk to the necklaces. Only other supplies I used were scissors! All in all, this project was super cheap, took little time & turned out to be really pretty!! [I think] Here's what I did:




  // S // -- I used my necklace as the "trial run" making sure that the twine and beads fit together. I used one piece of magenta twine and one of the turquoise twisting them together. I slipped a silver bead on either end of the tied S pendant, knotting all three in place.
// A // -- For Alyssa's necklace I wanted to try braiding the twine. I used two strings of turquoise and one strand of the magenta. I added two beads on either side of the pendant cos I thought mine was a little too plain.


 // M // -- For Mar's I did the opposite: used two strands of magenta and braided them with one strand of turquoise twine. Added three beads to each side of her M.




Thanks Anthro for always providing such lovely trinkets I can play with :)

- xx S

No comments:

Post a Comment