Monday, April 29, 2013

time capsule

I was an eight year old third grader when the new millennium was coming. In our class we made time capsules that we would open ten years later, (i remember thinking that 2010 was NEVER going to happen.) I kept my pringles-can-turned-time-capsule in my closet for years, but somehow it got misplaced. I happened upon it when i was running in the basement the other day & knew i had to open it and find the many treasures of my eight year old self. Many things i wrote about are still true today and my mom said that she thinks i am the same as i always was. Numerous laughs are happening right now:
+  observe the completely 90's pringles can
 + god bless the cootie catcher. I had an entire book of these to make, (that im sure i forced my mom to buy for me)
 + pokemon was THE BEST. my brother and i bonded hardcore over this. I love that out of all the cards to choose from i put in an energy one. also, that i wrote my initials on the back of the card....as if someone was going to take it... k
 + Definitely remember these blocks that we always built forts with. I am posing it up with my floral tye dye and lace biker shorts (my staple for summer dresses now, so weird) Also the fact that i wrote me(sarah) on the back of the photo kills me.

+ This one's the killer. The artist ambitions are still true today, along with my love for pizza, milkshakes, drawing, reading, zenon girl of the 21st century and my hatred for math. And i quote " The worst problems facing the world today are: me learning math." I almost died when i read that, so so very funny.

+ I loved that i found this and opened it. I remember being in 8th grade and saying, okay only a few more years til i can open this...i was very patient. My mom said this couldn't have came at a better time, especially because I will be graduating in three weeks time, and the question of "now what" is laced into every thought. By looking back at my eight year old self, i've found some reassurance in who i am now and what else i am trying to become. It was very refreshing and funny to revisit what was so important to me as a third grader.

- xx S

No comments:

Post a Comment