Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Art therapy projects part ||

This set of submissions was the last one before our final major visual. I enjoyed working on these two visuals very much & for different reasons.

The first piece is the mandala. This kind of piece resonated with me before i even knew the proper term mandala. Like one of my past pieces in a previous post, the visual representation of wholeness for me was through a sphere like shape, a circle, completeness. This is what a mandala can come to represent: the complete circulation of energy, of ones spirit, the searching of wholeness of inner spirit or peace. The act of creating the mandala brings this kind of energy flow. For this mandala i used a variety of media: fabric, paint, paint chips, wood, & jewels.

For my second piece i painted a diptych of my grandfather. The left hand side was painted from a photograph that my father took of my grandpa in 1979, twelve years before i, the first grandchild, was born. The right hand side is of a photograph i took of my grandpa from a recent visit. The person on the left is a stranger to me as i had never known my grandpa at this age and time in his life. The right hand picture is the realization of time passing and how age takes physical tolls and not always mental.

These pieces were exciting to explore and create especially through the variants of media i used.

- xxS



No comments:

Post a Comment