Tuesday, July 9, 2013

DiY -->> statement necklace



+++

This project was inspired by a certain necklace i had my eye on at Anthropologie a few months ago. It went on sale and i still didnt buy it & now its out of stock (sadness.) So i decided to try and make something in a similar colour palette & i found this string of beautiful gemstones at the craft store (ac moore) --whipped out my coupon and decided to experiment. Heres what i came up with & how:

 // Supplies: 
+ gem stones - 2.50$ with coupon {5$ originally}
+ copper wire - 3$
+ antique gold chain - 4.50$
+ lobster clasps - 1$ -->> {did not end up using these for this project however}
++> not pictured-->> jewelery pliers from home!
// total cost: 10$ 


// What to do:
I. the copper wire I bought was 26 gauge (pretty thin) so i first cut a long piece and strung each stone onto the wire
II. Next, i knotted the ends of the wire towards the stone, leaving a bit of excess wire on each end
III. Using pliers, I disconnected the part of the antique gold chain that i wanted around my neck
IV. I began to wrap the excess wire through the ends of the antique gold chain
V. I cut a bunch of small pieces of the copper wire to wrap around where the two chains met to strengthen the connection as well as give the chain a more layered look


+++

// The finished product:
+ I really like the two varied metal tones mixed with the rust colour of the gemstones
+ The copper wire on the one side of the necklace did break (i was pressing too hard with the pliers,) so i just kept adding more reinforcement with wrapping more wire
+ The gemstones are heavy so this is a super fragile necklace but i am really happy with the result!
It's mending my breaking heart over the loss of the Anthro necklace...kindof



- xx S

No comments:

Post a Comment